Mar 13, 2010

Creole 101

As part of my trip to Haiti, I am taking Creole (the official language in Haiti) lessons.  We started about 4 weeks ago.  Every Friday, 4 of us that are going to Haiti get together with our teacher, Renel.  He is a young Haitian man going to college in Grand Falls.  He has lived here for about 1 year and only speaks French. 

Though it's challenging me, it is SO much fun getting together every Friday afternoon with the other's I am traveling with, all for one common goal:  to learn to communicate with those we meet in our travels.  Plus, Renel is such a nice young man.

As part of my commitment to study, I am going to start listening to video's on YouTube to get used to the conversational piece of Creole.  I have decided that I will make a little 'Learn Creole' section on my blog for those of you interested!

Some of my favourite videos found today!





And my MOST challenging one is this one below. I'm going to try to go through this 30 minute story and translate the story (to the best of my ability)!!! I'm sure it will take some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only happy thoughts!